The challenge .. Make a mini from
- 4 envelopes – these can be any size or color, the smaller the envelope obviously the smaller your book will be and the larger the envelope, the bigger your book must be. They do all need to be the same size though, to start with anyway!!
- 2 pieces of plain cardstock cut to the same size as the envelopes (the CS needs to be reasonably thick – I used mount board, chipboard would work well too).
- Patterned papers to cover the above card on both sides – two pieces will need to be slightly bigger than the card (to cover the outside front and back covers), the two other pieces need to be the same size as the card/mount board/chip board.
- A piece of normal cardstock, as wide as the envelopes and 12" long, try to find a color that matches your PP’s if you can.
- A length of ribbon. It’s hard to give an exact measurement on this but I used a metre and then trimmed it down at the when the book was finished .
- You will also need a selection of coordinating pattern papers to embellish the inside of your mini book, plus a selection of embellishments. You can use stamps as well, buttons, odd bits of ribbon, die cuts, punches, blossoms, chipboard, etc, etc.
and following Karen’s basic instruction HERE I had a go myself…

Front view of the book… I have no idea what I am going to call it or even put in it, but I will admit I am glad my mojo is back – it was fun putting this together.

The original plan was to go with some funky designer paper over the envelopes – but the retro bug bit me and I just went with the flow..


I went with retro - circle and stripes all through the book – I probably was a little lazy not to make the effort and try to co-ordinate some colours sheets, but I love the retro look…

Midway through – still no idea for the cover

Because I had no idea what the book was going to be used for – the cover proved to be hard going – so I moved on and did up the enveloped themselves….
Using the oval Fiskars punch I made some tabs on the envelops and using just plain 4x6 card stock I added some tags to the project with opposing cardstock pull tab on the side to fit into the slot on the envelopes..

Close up of striped page

Close up of circle page

View of another page together

Following Karen’s instruction I had dragged out a Sizzix texture plate and I thought it would make a great addition to the front cover… I added it just at an angle and also used the embossed paper through the scallop punch…

The book so far
A closer look – That’s where I have left it – as soon as I figure out what I want to do with it I will add some words to the front and a few other bits and pieces – but for now I am OK with it as it is….
I will make this book again as there are something that can only be learn from trial and error and definitely I have things I will leave out in the future and bits I am quite chuffed turned out so well..
and lastly it was nice to reacquaint my self with my tools – I literally forgot I had those texture plates…


8 comments:
Your book looks really pretty and I love the circles and stripes.
I love this - really love the retro circles
This looks really great, love the fact you have left your envelopes open and used the circles as a feature and useful too!
@Mary..
Thanks for stopping by and I am glad you are enjoying the colours just as much as I am as well..
Have a great weekend..
Jhay...
@Suzy...
Welcome to my place....
One thing with retro colours and shapes, once the bug hits me, I tend to rush around doing alot of other stuff..
Hoping to get some scrapbook layouts out of the pieces I have left..
Jhay
@Lynne..
Welcome to you as well...
I never really liked the flap over envelope style and went with a bit of mine and Karen thing, and the small envelopes I used really made opening the bottom really easy...
Jhay
Your book is looking good, like all the circle tabs, and like the embossed effect.
Carol X
@Carol..
Thank you - I am pleased it turned out so well..
Jhay
Post a Comment